Sunday, October 12, 2014

Four Months Later

   I can't believe how time has flown by with this blog! It blows my mind that about 8 months ago I started this blog to share my story with the world. It's been way too long since I last posted and I feel that I need to apologize. I started this blog with the hope that it would bring strength and peace into the lives of my readers. With that being the sole purpose behind my blog I felt stuck. I've been in no position to bring strength or peace into anyones life, for I myself have been struggling. I put pressure on myself to finish and post part 2, as if I was on a time crunch with no motivation to get started. Writing part 2 has been extremely difficult, It's brought back a lot of memories and emotions that I haven't had to deal with for a long time. It's pushed me to not only remember but ponder on one of the hardest days of my life.  That fear combined with life being hard in and of itself caused me to push it all to the side, all the while telling myself I can't and what was the point anyway?

   Until my dear friend Kenna shared a quote from Elder Quentin L. Cook's talk in the Priesthood session of conference that reads:


"Elder David A. Bednar recently cautioned members to be authentic in the use of social media.  A prominent thought leader, Arthur C. Brooks, has emphasized this point. He observes that when using social media, we tend to broadcast the smiling details of our lives but not the hard times at school or work. We portray an incomplete life—sometimes in a self-aggrandizing or fake way. We share this life, and then we consume the “almost exclusively … fake lives of [our] social media ‘friends.’” Brooks asserts, “How could it not make you feel worse to spend part of your time pretending to be happier than you are, and the other part of your time seeing how much happier others seem to be than you?”

   I absolutely love this quote because I find it true in my own life. So from here on out I promise not to abandon this blog in hard times but to try to face them by writing my feelings and struggles. I don't live a perfect, always exciting life, but hope that with sharing all parts of my life we can find joy in the journey together.